The Thirumalai Nayakar Mahal is one of the main tourist attraction in Madurai located very near to the temple. It was built by the King in the year 1636. An Italian designer built the palace for the king. The king and people resided in the palace. The Swargavilasa and Rangavilasa are the two part in the palace. There are different further places in the palace where the tourists are permitted to go.
The tourist can visit the palace for an entry fee. It is said that through the British rule in India , the place was use for administrative purpose. Now the Archaeological Department of the country has confirmed the palace as a national testament and now the palaces has been renovate and open for public. In the evenings, the Light and sound show takes place in the palace in which the life record of the king and rule in Madurai is being told with sound and light special effects.
The palace was divided into two main parts, namely Swarga Vilasam (Celestial Pavilion) and Ranga Vilasam. The royal dwelling, theatre, shrine, apartments, armory, palanquin place, royal bandstand, quarters, pond and garden were situated in these two portions. The courtyard and the dancing hall are the main center of attractions of the palace.
The Celestial Pavilion (Swarga Vilasam) was used as the throne-room and has an arcaded octagon covered by a dome 60–70 feet high. The domed structure in the centre is supported by stone ribs and is held up by massive circular columns toppe and linked by pointed scalloped arches with an arcaded balcony opening into the nave above the side aisles.